Saturday, May 15, 2010

Yes, that is Naval Medical Center Guam. However, the blog title "In search of..." should be the first clue that I am still searching for that destination! This morning I was dropped off at the airport, heading first to Salt Lake City to connect with my flight to Narita,Tokyo and then on to Guam. The breast imaging section in Guam has a new mammography unit which must undergo rigorous accreditation by the FDA and American College of Radiology. Hence, the reason for my trip to assist the active duty technologist and radiologist in this pursuit.
Arrived in Salt Lake with no problems and promptly boarded the connecting flight within 30 minutes. Got a bulkhead aisle seat and things looked promising. The plane was really hot and soon many engineers got on and started opening panels of wiring, etc. After 3 very warm hours we were taken back to the gate, deplaned and dispatched to various hotels near the airport and given a Dinner voucher. OK, I figured, nothing to be done but endure the situation. We were assured that our suitcases would be secured overnight at the airport and loaded for our next day's rescheduled a.m. flight. I sure hope so. NO PJs tonight or clean clothes for tomorrow,but I have a toothbrush, book and laptop with me. I called Carmen from work to let her know my status.

Upon arriving at the (modest) hotel, we were told that the power was currently out but that it was expected to be restored shortly. No TV, no internet, no hot water for showers, etc. The diner across the parking lot was also "dark". hmmm........no food either! No ice or vending machines functioning.
I read for about an hour and took a short nap. I ventured out and found the diner packed. I took a counter seat and ordered the only thing on the menu that I thought I could eat. Salad and fish and chips. It also tasted about the same- bland. Where does one get halibut from in Salt Lake?
I am now back in my room, had a bath (jets were just for show- no functioning jacuzzi), am on the laptop, blogging and watching Spanish T.V. Almost like a normal night at home!

This trip started out in search of accreditation for the mammo dept in Guam and tomorrow will move closer to that goal. Along that way the search was converted to getting off the plane, cooling off, napping, having hot water to bathe, eating and restoration of power. Last on the list : a good night's sleep before starting out again tomorrow (Thanks Dr Beck!) stay tuned for more adventures Terry

1 comment: