Monday, May 17, 2010

Hafa Adai!

Hafa Adai! Good day from Guam. I am glad to have finally arrived. Awoke yesterday to a beautiful crisp,clear morning in Salt Lake City. Snow still on the Wasatch Mountains. What a contrast both to San Diego and to the tropics where I am headed. Caught the shuttle to the airport and had an uneventful, though long flight to Tokyo. Very calming and serene airport. Really interesting. We arrived at about noon and the flight out to Guam was no until 8 p.m. so I had time to kill. Upon entering the terminal my name was called overhead (hard to recognize with a Japanese accent!) to come to the Continental desk. I thought that was odd since I was flying Delta. Anyway, because of the one day delay, I was put on the soonest trip out to Guam which was at 3 p.m. I quickly sent an email to my contacts in Guam so they would know what to expect and happily got settled on the new flight.
It was hot and humid when we landed, kind of like a sauna. Relieved to be on American soil again, I went to the luggage carousel, eager to get on my way. My bag did not make the Continental flight.... why am I not surprised? This trip has a pattern on glitches....
So, I got my rental car and headed out with the promise that my bag would join me (probably after the later intended flight). With only one wrong turn (no dome light working in the car) I got to the Hotel. The hotel is lovely and the room looks like spa. Balcony overlooking a really cool pool complex and the ocean. I plan to use both after work today.
Hopefully my Naval Hospital colleagues got my message last night and weren't waiting for me at the Delta gate......
I am energized by a great night's sleep and off to get familiarized with the other side of the island where the Hospital campus is located.
p.s. my luggage did arrive. Yay I don't have to wear the same thing for a 3rd day in a row

No comments:

Post a Comment